Paleo / Primal / Bacon / CleanEats Lifestyle
Nothing beats a fine steak for dinner. To me there is nothing more primal than eating a slab of beef for a meal. I prefer to cook my steaks in a skillet. The skillet provides an even cooking surface for the steak as well as holding a lot of heat. Now don’t get me wrong I am not going to turn down a steak cooked on the grill but my preference is a skillet cooked steak. I tend to grill my steaks in the summer time because although my apartment is a penthouse suite with a water view, it is kind of small. Who am I kidding? My apartment is tiny and the only view of the water I have is when it drips in through my ceiling.
Steps for cooking a steak in a skillet:
Preheat Oven to 400 Degrees
Season steak with liberal amounts of salt and pepper
- Set burner to high and put some coconut oil in the skillet
- Place skillet on burner until it is just about to smoke
- Set the steak in skillet until you get a nice golden brown crust on one-side
- Flip steak
- Put skillet in oven for 5-9 mins. depending on how you like your steak cooked
- Take skillet out of oven, place steak on plate and let rest 10mins. to let the steak re-absorb it’s juices
Tonight I had a rib-eye that was about 1/2 inch thick so I placed it in the oven for 5 mins and it came out medium which is how I eat my steak. After letting it rest I topped it off with some sautéed mushrooms and onion and had a Paleo-friendly caesar salad on the side(I’ll post caesar recipe later). Not only do I cook my steaks in the skillet but pork chops and chicken get the same treatment in my house.