- mix together spices for blackening rub
- cut cod into serving sizes about 4-6 oz.
- rub seasoning generously on all sides of cod filets
- heat coconut oil on high in cast-iron skillet
- when pan is just starting to smoke, add rubbed cod filets
- turn after about 3-4 minutes, the cod should be crispy and dark
- cook for another 3-4 minutes depending on thickness of fish
rubbed on every side with blackening spice
after flip in pan, cook for 3-4 more mins
finished product with fresh lemon and parsley
Blackening fish was a technique perfected in New Orleans. While working down here I figured it would be a great idea to try it out for myself. The extremely high heat of the pan and the minimal amount of oil in the pan really creates a spicy, crispy crust on the fish. It was delicious and the depth of flavor was amazing. Just remember get the pan as hot as possible just to where it starts smoking and be careful when you place the fish in the pan. When you lay it in the pan drop it away from you so that the oil won’t splash back. Enjoy!